If you are injured at work and need to find the best workers compensation law attorney, be aware of specific basics. There are several resources that can be used to get a list of potential candidates.
- Visit local bar associations. They offer their referrals about reliable and experienced workers comp lawyers. They all are certified and successful.
- Use the Internet. A simple online search will offer numerous legal specialists. Check their official sites, blogs and other web pages.
- Ask your friends and other people you know. They may recommend you someone qualified and experienced to handle your workers comp case.
- Contact other legal professionals. If you are familiar with criminal or other lawyers, ask them to suggest someone who specializes in such claims.
As soon as you obtain a list of reputable candidates, call them and schedule an initial consultation. The good news is that most of them do not charge a fee for this service. Use this chance to assess your workers compensation case and determine the best legal representative. Keep in mind several important details to make a good choice.
- Get more information about the backgrounds of potential candidates. This is when their sites and state licensing agencies may come in handy.
- Determine whether they are going to represent other parties involved in your case because they can work only for one side.
- Learn more about their experience levels. Make sure that your workers compensation law attorney is experienced and knows how to get the best settlement possible. Do not forget to ask about past cases and strategies.
- Focus on the reviews of other clients because they will provide you with a clearer idea of what to expect.
- Pay attention to their communication and personal skills. Hire someone who is friendly and makes you feel comfortable.
- Check other people who work in the same law office. They should be polite and ready to help.
Finally, one of the most important steps is to learn more about the legal fees involved in their services. Ask lawyers whether they prefer to sign a retainer agreement because you are not required to cover retainer fees. Find out more about estimated legal costs, including copying, expert and other expenses. They all must be reflected in your written contract. Read it carefully and sign it to avoid all kinds of hidden fees and end up with savings. Workers comp lawyers should work on a contingency basis, so that their clients won’t pay anything upfront.